As a mum, one of the first things I tend to let go when things get busy is my own self care. Sometimes it feels impossible to wake up every morning and take the time to take care of my self. However, when I actually dedicate 10 minutes in the morning and before bed to practice self care, I feel exponentially better. Skincare isn’t all about looking beautiful. It’s about feeling your best inside and out and treating yourself with care and compassion. When you think about it like a little wrinkle cream here and a little serum there, it might seem a little silly! But the routine element is most important, and not silly at all! It gives you time to do your affirmations, think through your day, and pamper yourself! These are my favorite skincare essentials and how they fit in to my AM and PM routines.
You can find my full list of skincare essentials on my Amazon storefront.
The Skincare Routine Ground Rules
Before I list out my routine, there’s some important things to get out of the way.
- Everyone’s skin is different! That’s what makes us all so beautiful. Because of this, make sure you test any product before using it regularly. You never know how your unique skin will react with a product until you test it.
- Skincare is expensive. Creating a skincare routine has been very valuable for me. However, the costs really start to add up. A couple of thoughts about cost:
- Remember, only use a small amount of each product. This can help you get the most bang for your buck!
- If a product or type of product doesn’t fit within your budget, just skip that step. No step will completely make or break the routine (except sunscreen!), so feel free to exclude items that are too pricey.
- Missing a day isn’t a mistake. All too often as women, we hold ourselves to impossibly high standards. Sometimes adding something simple to our routines can make us feel like we’re a success for remembering to do it and a failure for forgetting. Don’t let yourself buy into that mindset. If you forget it one day, just do it the next!
Skincare Essentials Morning Routine
Your morning skincare essentials should help prepare your skin for the day ahead. It’s all about protecting your skin from potential harm from the sun, pollutants, or whatever comes your way. Therefore, the morning routine is about layering skincare products that perform specific tasks. Here’s a complete AM routine:
- LaRoche Posay Gel Cleanser – Start with a fresh face!
- I love this cleanser because it’s reasonably priced, gentle on skin, and free of harmful additives. It comes highly recommended by dermatologists and skincare enthusiasts.
- Farmacy Deep Sweep Toner – preps the skin for the rest of the routine
- Farmacy has a lot of great, natural products that support healthy skin. However, a lot of them are extremely pricey! I think this Deep Sweep toner is a good overall value and delivers on radiance!
- Mad Hippie Vitamin C Antioxidant Serum – helps protect from pollutants
- Mad Hippie skincare products always feel really luxurious. I love the way this antioxidant serum feels, and it’s got multiple ingredients that support brighter, healthier skin.
- Grace & Stella Hydrating Serum – adds extra moisture before the drying effects of the day
- Glycerin and Hyaluronic Acid are two ingredients that really support healthy, hydrated skin that helps you appear well-rested. As a mum, I know that anything I can do to appear well-rested is a life-saver.
- COSRX Advanced Snail Peptide Eye Cream – delivers intense moisture to our most fragile skin
- Hear me out. I know the idea of snail peptides sounds a little icky, but honestly it’s incredibly moisturizing. Hydrated eyes look brighter, more awake, and less puffy.
- Holy Hydration! e.l.f. Daily Moisturizer – creates a layer of protection around your skin
- e.l.f consistently delivers on low-cost, high-quality skincare essentials. This Holy Hydration! daily moisturizer is a cult favorite for a reason!
- VICHY Matte Finish Sunscreen – protects you from damaging UV sunlight
- I’m not a big makeup person. For that reason, I really love a matte sunscreen. This VICHY Matte Finish sunscreen is rated at 60 SPF, which provides great UVA and UVB protection.
Skincare Essentials Nighttime Routine
Your nighttime skincare routine allows you to really refine and protect your skin while you sleep. If you’re worried about wrinkles, dark circles, or dark spots, it’s a lot easier to wear heavier, more intense products while you sleep. Here’s a complete PM skincare routine!
- Cocokind Oil-to-Milk Cleanser – Gently remove makeup.
- If you wear makeup, this oil-based cleanser helps the makeup melt off without having to scrub.
- LaRoche Posay Gel Cleanser – Repeat from your morning routine!
- Farmacy Deep Sweep Toner – Repeat from your morning routine!
- If you find that toner is too drying for you, feel free to skip it at night.
- AXIS-Y Dark Spot Correcting Targeted Serum – Target a specific skincare issue.
- The serum I listed here is wonderful for reducing dark spots that come from aging. If you have another issue you’d like to target (acne-prone skin, redness, dark eye circles, etc.), use a product targeted for that at this step.
- COSRX Advanced Snail Peptide Eye Cream – Repeat from your morning routine!
- Some people prefer a significantly heavier eye cream at night. However, I feel like this is a great place to cut out an additional product.
- The Inkey List Retinol – Slow the aging process on your skin.
- Retinol is one of the most effective ways to reduce signs of aging and keep your skin plump and youthful. The Inkey List is a favorite brand because their products are effective and reasonably priced.
- Yves Rocher Riche Creme Moisturizer – Add intense hydration.
- Your nighttime moisturizer should sink in to your skin overnight and provide deep, lasting hydration. This Riche Creme is also great for your neck, so use it there as well!
On my Amazon storefront, I’ve also linked some special use items that you can use once-a-week to increase your skincare’s results. Things like exfoliating, using a face roller, and using sheet masks are helpful to do weekly.
Whatever routine you design, make sure that it gives you a chance to take care of you. Remember, you deserve luxury, happiness, and beauty every single day!
Follow me on Instagram