Instagram has changed so much over the years. From over-filtered square pictures to reels and everything in between, I’ve always loved curating my Instagram. It’s a great way to express my aesthetic, connect with other moms, and even build my business. But let’s be honest. It can be really difficult to make your Instagram look exactly the way you want it. You’ve got to master photography, SEO, design, video editing, and more! If you’re looking to improve your Instagram, I’ve got you covered. These are some of my favorite tips for curating the perfect Instagram profile.
Take the Best Photos and Videos
This is definitely the biggest hurdle to curating your Instagram profile. If you don’t have a lot of photography experience, taking great photos and videos can be really intimidating. The good news? Phone cameras have come a long way, so you won’t have to buy an expensive camera to get incredible Instagram pics.
I’ve put together a list of my Instagrammer Essentials over on my Amazon Storefront. Here are the highlights:
- You need a ring light. It’s an absolute must-have. This ring light set up is my favorite, and it’s available on Amazon for less than $40 CAD.
- If you want to post any products on your Instagram Profile, you’ll need this portable light box. It’s easy to set up and instantly improves your product photos.
- One of the biggest trends on Instagram and TikTok right now is “Get Ready With Me” or “GRWM” videos. This Octobuddy suction cup phone mount lets you stick your phone right on your mirror and take the best GRWM videos ever.
Editing Your Photos
I love photography and editing photos, but if you’re new to the process it can be really intimidating. I’ve found that it’s way easier to start with presets. A preset is developed by a more experienced photo editor. They’ve adjusted all of the possible settings in order to create a final image aesthetic that can be applied to a wide variety of photos. When you purchase a preset, you can use the exact same settings in your editing app. This is a great way to learn about what each setting does and learn what adjustments you like.
Because I get a lot of questions about how I edit my photos, I’ve put together presets for the Lightroom mobile app (IOS/Android) and Lightroom CC App on iPhone and iPad. These are super easy to use, and let you find exactly the aesthetic that works for you. They’re all available on kyloandco.com for easy digital download.
These are some of my favorites:
- Lite – Simple, bright aesthetic great for beach photos, interior design photos, and fashion photos.
- Bali – I love this preset for warm, family photos and creating a great neutral palette for your Instagram.
- Leaf – This preset adds a warm, green undertone to your photos which is great for outdoor pics, natural product photos, and family photos.
You can download all three at once in the Blogger Bundle!
Curating Cover Photos
One of the main ways that new followers will find your Instagram page is through the Explore page. If they click on your profile for the first time, you want your feed to highlight your aesthetic and your values. In the new age of reels, frames from videos can look really messy on your profile. For each reel you post, you’ll want to add a cover image that works with the overall look and feel of your profile.
These cover images don’t necessarily have to be related to the video content. Use this opportunity to create the visual look you want your profile to have. This helps your reels integrate better with the still images you post to your profile.
The biggest rule of Instagram? It’s a reflection of you! Build the page that shows off all of the things that make you you.
Follow me on Instagram