So since my last ‘Guide To Bali’ blog post I have been overwhelmed with requests to create this one. You have asked, and because this platform is 50% you and 50% me, here it is. My 17hr guide to Shanghai!
During our voyage to Bali we had a 17hr layover in Shanghai, most of it being sleep time. We arrived at the Ritz Carlton hotel (review to come) at around 9pm and had to leave for the airport at 2pm the next day… We didn’t have time to spare and wanted to see the best that Shanghai has to offer… in reason.
We woke at 8am and were out the door by 8:30am. Here is where we went and what we did…
- We jumped in a cab and headed straight to The Buddha Jade Temple. Entrance cost around $7 and was totally worth it. Built in 1882 this temple was magnificent, so full of history and spirit.
- From there we went to the only place we could think… Starbucks! It is right across the street and offered items we could kinda understand. I tried the peach iced tea (it had bits of peach in it), it was DELICIOUS!
- Once refreshed, we jumped into another cab and headed to People’s Square. Now let me tell you… this place was BITCH to find! There is a road… much like a highway that you have to pass, so you need to find the underground pathway. Being the idiots we are, we wasted a majority of our time trying to find this golden tunnel. We are so stupid that we had walked passed it about 4 times. It was the subway pathway. Once we worked that out, it was smooth sailing. We walked into a gorgeous open space that houses Shanghai’s municipal government buildings.
- Then back in the cab (for the final time) to The Bund. We witnessed the most fantastic view of Shanghai with their famous Oriental Pearl Tower in prime view…. oh and our hotel. The most amazing thing though, what we stared at for hours (not really… but a long time), was the never ending cargo boats carrying various types of materials.
- Once we were ready to go we jumped on a ferry! Now if you know China, you know everything is a race, so just be careful. This ferry cost around 50¢ and transported us back across The Bund towards our hotel.
- We weren’t ready to go just yet so we went to The Oriental Pearl Tower. No we didn’t go up… but only because we wanted to see tower, and you can’t see it if your in it!
- From there we walked back to our hotel (The Ritz Carlton), freshened up in the room… yes we got a late checkout (for 1pm) and took our bags down to the lobby for concierge to hold.
- Now we were lucky, as attached to our hotel is IFC Mall. This mall is so glam, with every designer label you could imagine, but to be honest we weren’t interested in shopping (even though I tried on numerous pairs of shoes), we were here to eat. Where did I eat, you may ask? PIZZA EXPRESS!!! Yes! If your a Brit then you probably go to Pizza Express once a week. Now be a Brit that has moved away and hasn’t gone back home in 2 years! I had to get my Pizza Express on. Oh yeah baby.
- Once 2pm on the dot came, we quickly got our bags jumped in a cab and sped off to the airport.
- Now let me tell you, Shanghai Pudong airport SUCKS BALLS! Unless you want to eat more Chinese food the only thing on offer is Starbucks (which is awesome but I was over it). So I highly recommend eating before you get there.
SHOP MY LOOK (Click the item)
Top: Shop Akira Shorts: H&M
Follow me on Instagram
P.S. Follow along with me everyday via SnapChat. My username is: Filzer